Tuesday, May 10, 2011

History Lesson!!! (Don't worry! It won't bore you!!)

History!!
It's been my favorite subject since 2nd grade.
I now find myself appreciating and loving it for whole other reasons!
In home school we've been watching this funny, entertaining history series called, 'Drive Through History.' It's a Christian based bunch of episodes teaching kids (and adults) in an engaging way about Ancient History and what role Christians have played.
We watched a couple episodes today that we're based on cities in Turkey. The guy on the show (his name doesn't stick to my brain lol) talked about the Hittites, Muslims, and early Christians. One thing I thought was soo cool was that.. oh wait! I guess I need to explain something first. lol Well, to escape persecution the Hittites went and lived in Cappadocia, Turkey. The thing I found cool was that they lived in caves carved into soiled rock! Imagine how hard that must have been to make! However, these we're like the perfect climate control houses! Cool in summer and warm in winter. :)
These rocks the caves we're carved in are called 'fairy chimnys'. lol
But, I learned something that was better!
When the Muslims came and invaded the Christians they created similar caves, only underground!
What the Hittites originally started, the Christians continued and the underground tunnels and rooms went seven stories underground! In the very last level the guy on the show discovered that the large room was in the shape of a cross! It was a room of prayer and worship.
Learning about the early Christian's persecution really reminds me how easy I have it. I don't have an army of soldiers ready to kill me for having a personal relationship with God! They did!
They risked there lives to go to church and worship our wonderful God!
Wow.
New respect for early Christians is established.

One of the girls.....
        Taylyr

No comments:

Post a Comment